Saturday, July 05, 2008

Perfect day for ice cream

I thought today was a good day to make ice cream, plus I needed to dust this guy off and make use of it again. I don't make ice cream often enough, but I don't think I could give up this very cool gadget. After all, ice cream is my favorite dessert!

Here's the recipe from the Ultimate Ice Cream Book, I got this recipe from the Cooking Light forum a couple of years ago. I make this at least once or twice a year.

Lowfat Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups 1% milk
2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
4 teaspoons vanilla

Lightly beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl with a whisk and set aside. In a medium saucepan over low heat bring milk to a low simmer. Slowly add hot milk to eggs, mixing with whisk. Return egg/milk mixture to pan over low heat and simmer until custard thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil or the eggs will scramble. Pour custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl, then whisk in sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until chilled, then freeze in ice cream freeezer as directed.

You can throw in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips at the last 5 minutes of freezing time, if you like. It looks difficult to make, but it really isn't.

Enjoy!

No comments:

I'm back cross-stitching

  Well, not yet, but real soon because my daughter found a Halloween cross-stitch booklet that I thought I lost forever. So my plans are to ...