Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Baking season is here!



I work at an afterschool program and for snack the children usually have veggies and sunflower butter, or crackers, cheese sticks, fruit or sandwiches. We always have a lot of left overs. Well, I came across this recipe in a magazine that my Mom always sends me. It's a local super market magazine in Northern California, Something Extra Magazine. I found the perfect cookie recipe to share with the children using some of the sunflower butter. I hope they like Chocolate Sunflower Cookies.

Chocolate Sunflower Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Nestle Toll House Delightfulls Caramel Filled Morsels
3/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds

Stir together butter and sunflower seed butter in a large bowl; beat in sugars, then beat in vanilla and eggs. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt, then stir in caramel morsels. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1½-inch balls and roll in sunflower seeds. Place on baking sheets and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container.


These cookies look a lot lighter in color, but they are much darker (and not the greatest photo, either). I didn't have sunflower seeds, I just sprinkled the tops with turbinado sugar instead. Hope you give this recipe a try and share with your family and friends this holiday season.

No comments:

I'm back cross-stitching

  Well, not yet, but real soon because my daughter found a Halloween cross-stitch booklet that I thought I lost forever. So my plans are to ...