Friday, June 04, 2010

Food on Fridays: Focaccia

Every once in a while I get a craving from something bready and cheesy. Actually this doesn't have that much cheese on it, and I tried to make it healthy by using half whole-wheat flour. I think I have tons of similar recipes, but searched online anyway for a focaccia recipe that the dough can be made in the bread machine. I wanted to make it before I left for work and then just assemble it when I came home. Anyway, here's the recipe from my wooden spoon, with my little changes. Well, my big changes because I wanted to add cheese, onions, etc. Really, really easy and can be made by hand if you don't have a bread machine.

Focaccia Bread

1 cup + 2 tablespoons water (80F/27C)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

Topping:
carmelized onions and garlic in olive oil
sliced olives
Mozzerella cheese, grated
Parmesan, grated
Kosher salt
cracked black pepper

Add water and olive oil to breadmaker pan. Then add salt, sugar (I used agave nectar), garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and flour. Make a well in center of flour and add yeast. Set bread machine to dough cycle.

With oiled hands, evenly press dough into a greased 9x13 inch pan ( I used a 9x13 glass dish). Cover and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes or until double in size. While the dough is rising, prepare topping.

Use fingers to press dimples into dough. Spoon topping over dough. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes or until done.

(sorry for the terrible photo, I used my cell phone and didn't think I was going to blog about it, otherwise I would have used a real camera and take a nicer photograph.)



Enjoy!



This is my first post for Food on Fridays, hope to do more since I love to cook but not great at blogging about it.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

I love easy recipes and anything "bready"!

It looks so much like pizza--is it similar in texture and flavor?

Hope you have fun writing about food and food prep and food angst and food cravings and anything else food-related for Food on Fridays. I invite lots of flexibility, so wherever your stomach leads, feel free to write about it and link up!

Welcome!

Kathleen said...

This looks really amazing! My daughter and I were just talking about making some homemade focaccia bread!

I'm back cross-stitching

  Well, not yet, but real soon because my daughter found a Halloween cross-stitch booklet that I thought I lost forever. So my plans are to ...