Saturday, December 17, 2005

About those Springerle

Well, they turned out to be a complete flop! After reading the recipe, which I had already mixed the dough, I was supposed to let them rest for at least 12 hours uncovered before baking them. Okay, so I rolled them out with my fancy rolling pin and carefully cut them and put them on baking sheets to let them sit for "12 hours". Okay, so I went to my first aid class and came home around 10pm and thought that was plenty of time to start baking them. So that was okay, I was fine with that even though I had to be at work by 6:30am. Well, those darn cookies turned out to be hard as rocks! I mean they were tasty, I love the anise flavor, but sheesh, when I took a bite I thought I was going to end up back at the dentist office. Maybe I should dunk these in coffee or a cup of tea. So I obviously did something wrong. I don't want to throw them out, maybe I could whirl them in the food processor and use them for a crust for cheesecake or something. Maybe I should stick to American cookie recipes, I dunno . . . I know the rolling pin works well with regular type rolled cookies -- I should stick to that.

Today was another day that flew by, at least I'm finally done with my Christmas cards. I almost thought, "let's skip it this year". Oh no, I couldn't do that. Some of my cards are going to England, I know those will arrive late. I usually receive my in-law's cards late, too. I'm not worried about that.

I also went to Trader Joe's for a little grocery shopping. I bought this wonderful wreath -- a real wreath! I am so happy with it. I hung it near the hallway, so every time I pass by it I can smell fresh Evergreen. I don't know why I'm making a big deal out of it, but it brings back memories of my childhood. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Now, I'm thinking about going back and buying another wreath for the doorway.

Last night I made a roast in the Crockpot. It came out okay, I had alot of left over. Today I made Shepherd's Pie with the left over beef. I haven't made that in a long time, which is one of dh's favorites. I am not a big fan of this dish, in fact I don't eat it. But dh loves it!

. . . served up with cabbage.

Dh came back for seconds and polished off the rest. I still have more left over beef, I'm thinking about chili?

No comments:

I'm back cross-stitching

  Well, not yet, but real soon because my daughter found a Halloween cross-stitch booklet that I thought I lost forever. So my plans are to ...